Discopyge tschudiiis commonly referred to as Apron ray. Difficulty in the aquarium: Only for advanced aquarists. A aquarium size of at least 5000 Liter is recommended. Toxicity: Has a poison harmful to health.
This is a general hint!
Discopyge tschudii has a harmful toxin.
As a rule, animals with a harmful poison do not pose any danger in normal Aquarieaner everyday life. Read the following husbandry information and comments from aquarists who already keep Discopyge tschudii in their aquarium to get a better picture about the possible danger. However, please be careful when using Discopyge tschudii. Every human reacts differently to poisons.
If you suspect that you have come into contact with the poison, please contact your doctor or the poison emergency call.
The phone number of the poison emergency call can be found here:
Overview Worldwide: eapcct.org
Special thanks for the foto to Prof. Dr. Dirk Schories.
A small electric ray, lives over sandy grounds and feeds on the bivalves species Amiantis purpurata.
Depth: 5-165 meters
Electric rays can generate electric shocks of 70-300 volts, which normaly serve as a weapon and for catching prey.
Depending on the level of exposed electric shocks, people may have atrial fibrillation of the heart, temporary short-term cardiac arrest, cardiac arrest, and cardiac arrest.
Therefore, never touch an electric ray!